"Be feircely loyal to each other..." Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Easy Cherry Cupcakes.

I decided that today, there will be a post.  After baking banana bread, making the base for horchata ice cream and arroz con leche, and taking care of the little man, by the time I had some time to myself, and sat down, I realized that I needed to upload some pictures.  Too bad I am too tired.  The next time I get up from here will be to go to bed. 
 Bryan and I haven't spent much time at home lately, which means he has been extra crabby for me. (Cutest little crab ever)  Who knew that just one cranky baby, could be so exhausting.
I am also getting up early to help out at a fundraiser for breast cancer. (Think Pink!)  I'm not doing a Scentsy booth, or selling bows(something new that I am starting.  More to come) but just lending a hand to a good friend of mine...
Back to the point.
Because of my laziness, I am taking this opportunity to share my new favorite baking tip: Adding flavor to cakes.
Cherry Cupcakes with Cherry Buttercream, filled with coconut cream
My new secret? a box.  That's right.  I just use a box of white(or yellow) cake.  I am sure I heard this tip somewhere, but in all honesty I don't remember where or when.  All you do, is take whatever flavoring you want, in this case, fresh cherries(put through the blender of course), and substitute that, for some or all of the water the mix calls for.  The more you put in, the more flavor you get.
I did the same thing with oranges, except I juiced it in our juicer so there wouldn't be any skin in it.
The buttercream was done similar, except I added a larger amount pureed cherries than my buttercream recipe called for liquid.  I wanted a big cherry flavor, but in the end, The icing was too sweet.  It needs some more experimenting.
Both my cherry and orange cakes turned out great.
 of course there are still pictures of my cutie pie. He was a month and a half in these pictures.  The day he was blessed at church.  Isn't that little outfit darling?  My mom made it.  Funny story.  She kept going on about how much she loved babies wearing gowns for their blessing.  Had us worried.  So happy she made this little tux (that he pretty much was too big for the next day) 
 Those toes are so cute it kills me!  Do we look exhausted or what?!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, you're so creative! And I can't believe how big Bryan is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love creating in the kitchen. We will have to skype soon. He is even more fun to watch

      Delete