"Be feircely loyal to each other..." Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, March 4, 2016

Gender Reveal Scratchers

"What are you having?" is always the question that is asked when you tell people you are pregnant. A friend of mine once joked about the question that follows.  The clarification of a boy or a girl.  What else could it be? "A boy, a girl or a tiger?"
Well this little one is a girl.  If you don't believe the sonogram, then believe my love of chocolate this time around.
Gender reveals can be a big deal.  Last time around, we announced it at Christmas by opening a blue baby gift.  This year, since we are so far from our family, we decided to mail them these cute little scratcher cards.
I found the idea while browsing pintrest.  The tutorial I used can be found here at Burlap and Babies.  She even has a free printable at the end. (for both girl and boy scratchers.)
this apple punch was the only punch I had that was big enough to cover the bow, so I worked with what I had.
My little helper

 The printable only turned out to be one card, so I threw it in my go to editing program and worked it around to this.

My tips for this cute little project.
  • Baby soap worked in place of dish soap.(my dish soap is too runny)  That being said:
  • TEST TEST TEST. preferably before you paint/cut/and assemble all of your scratchers.
  • The tutorial says 2-3 coats of paint for a reason.
  • 5-6 coats of paint is too many.
  • If you are anxious about it being too transparent, maybe put a piece of colored paper in the corner of your contact paper to check while you add your layers.
  • If you pay close attention to those tips, using clear contact paper is a great way to have your scratchers ready to just print and assemble.
  • If you don't pay attention to them, don't worry, it also can be peeled right off.

In case you didn't get it from my tips, I used way too many coats of paint on the cards I sent out.  When I tested it with 3 coats, it worked perfectly with just a coin.  My final product? Not so much.  A coin didn't even dent it. Using a key just ripped it up.  Only way to get a good result was to use scissors.  But like I said, most of my loved ones said it peeled right off.

What are some of the ways you have seen, or have done yourself to for a gender reveal?  Any ideas you would love to do in the future?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment