"Be feircely loyal to each other..." Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, April 4, 2016

Our First Trip to Urgent Care

A couple weeks ago, Bryan decided to jump off my bed.  He missed the landing.  I rushed over to snuggle him and make him feel better.  Usually, if he hurts himself, 2 minutes of hugs and kisses and he has forgotten all about it. This time, he cried for over 10 min.  Everything looked fine, but he wouldn't walk and when I did the head to toe check, his left foot was more than bothering him.
So I took him in.
Daddy met us at urgent care right when they called us back.  He STILL has trouble at the doctor from when he had his tear duct surgery, so just sitting down with him in the office re started all of his screaming.  The doctor had to stand outside the room to see if he would walk and have me feel his foot for her.  I hated being away from him when they sent him for x-rays.  (no pregnant ladies allowed.)  I'm so glad my hubby was able to there to be with him for me, but I could still hear Bryan screaming just from having to lay on the table.

The verdict from the x-rays was that the on call doctor didn't see a break.  She sent it in to radiology and a podiatrist to make sure, checked his foot one more time, then put his foot in a splint.  The pressure of the splint seemed to help his foot feel a little better.

The next day, we got a call saying there was for sure no break, and to leave the splint on until his appointment with the podiatrist a few days ago.  He was allowed to walk as much as he wanted, which was great.  I don't know how I would have been able to keep him off his foot.  He woke up the morning after ready to run.
The wrap on the splint did unravel a couple times.  When that happened, we were able to see that there was a deep bruise across his toes and his foot was still a little swollen.  We also took the opportunity to wash his stinky foot. (After a week of not washing it and having it covered like that, it was stinky.)
2 weeks was perfect for his follow up appointment.  When they cut the splint off, his foot was all healed.  Even better, was how easy it was on him.  Usually when he goes to the doctor, something not fun happens.  Shots, devices in his face, etc.  This time, they took the splint off, the doctor gave him a little foot massage and tickled it.  The nurse even took him for a walk outside the office when he asked to leave.  They had to see him walk anyway so the doctor said go for it.  End the visit with superman stickers, and he seems to be convinced that the doctor is great now.  He has been asking to go back.
I will say that with this pregnancy, I have missed my doctors in northern California. The doctors here are fine, just not the same as it was my first pregnancy.  That said, I am really appreciative of the doctors and nurses who took care of Bryan.  After the podiatrist called, the urgent care doctor called to check on us as well.  Just to see how Bryan was feeling and to make sure that we were able to get a hold of the other doctor and come up with a satisfactory plan for what to do next.  Kaiser rocks.

I am so glad to have this over and done with.  Unfortunately, my dad informed me that it is not the last time.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Almost the exact same thing happened with my son except it was his elbow. He was horsing around at his tumbling class and came down on it wrong. Turns out he sprained it. A few days in a splint and he was fine. Sounds like they are both tough little buggers.

    Clinton Scott @ U.S. HealthWorks - Seattle (First Ave)

    ReplyDelete